Thursday, April 14, 2011

Rubber


I very much enjoyed the film, "Rubber." It was directed by Quentin Dupieux, who, through a friend of mine, I found out is also a composer, is also known as Mr. Oizo and is responsible for Steak. I like him already. I love steak, preferably well-done with a side of broccoli and mashed potatoes.
His film, "Rubber," is not what I expected. Going in, I thought it was simply going to be about the exploits of a killer tire. I figured the requisite amount of mayhem would ensue--people would be run over by a tire, some dumb teenagers would find themselves in trouble, and a tad bit of nudity would be seen. Only one of those things happens.
"Rubber" did not follow the course I thought it would take and for that I was pleased. In the first five minutes of the film, Dupieux establishes that his will be no ordinary film and that the rules of "Rubber" will be different from what is expected. I appreciate his desire to follow a refreshingly different course and the humor with which he lets the audience in on his line of thinking.
"Rubber" manages to follow this course throughout the entirety of the film and, thankfully, does not slow down an hour or so into the proceedings. Although it is about a killer tire, it retains a good-humored nature all the way through.
"Rubber" will be released on dvd in the US on June 7, according to Amazon.com. Buy or rent it then. Thanks to the previous work of Quentin Dupieux, you may enjoy a nice steak to go along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment